Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Steve Marx: “Building a Mobile-Browser-Friendly List of PDC 2010 Sessions with Windows Azure and OData”

Steve Marx (@smarx) described Building a Mobile-Browser-Friendly List of PDC 2010 Sessions with Windows Azure and OData in this 10/26/2010 post:

image[9] I learned today that there’s an OData feed of all the PDC 2010 sessions. I couldn’t help but build a Windows Azure application that consumes that feed and provides a simple web page that works well on mobile browsers. You can use it at http://pdc10sessions.cloudapp.net.

image

I’m enjoying the ease of use of OData in .NET. OData is the protocol that Windows Azure tables uses, and I’m also starting to use that to expose data in other applications I write. To share the joy, I thought I’d share how I built this app.

imageAll I did was add a service reference to http://odata.microsoftpdc.com/ODataSchedule.svc and write a simple controller method.

C# source code excised for brevity.

I’ll be using this at PDC this Thursday and Friday to find the sessions I’m interested in. If you’ll be attending PDC in person, I hope you find this useful too.

Steve’s app isn’t likely to win any design awards, but it’s quick. Here’s the opening screen in the VS2010’s WP7 emulator:

image[14] 

For more background about PDC2010’s OData feed, see The Professional Developers Conference 2010 team delivered on 10/26/2010 a complete OData feed of PDC10’s schedule at http://odata.microsoftpdc.com/ODataSchedule.svc/ article in the OData section of my Windows Azure and Cloud Computing Posts for 10/25/2010+ post.

See the mobile version of my manually created PDC 2010 session list, which also has minimal production values, at Windows Azure, SQL Azure, AppFabric and OData Sessions at PDC 2010:

OakLeafMobilePDC2010Sessions379px[6]

No comments:

Post a Comment